Tell Me Your Story...

It was once said, how can we know how to love people if we don't know their stories?  It's been a long time since I've written a blog post.  Mostly, it's been a summer full of stories and trying to decide which ones to share without writing any down has been my struggle.  Good stories.  Stories without a definitive end.  Stories that make you cry.  Some that make you laugh.  Some you wish you never heard.

There are times when we get so wrapped up in our our own lives, in our hurried days and busy schedules that we aren't truly present in our surroundings.  The chance of a conversation with the person next to us in the grocery store, the homeless person on the street, a friend that you see every day but don't have real conversation with, the person next to you in the airplane.

We plug in our headphones, escape into phone calls, turn up the music...  Please don't misunderstand.  We all need moments to just simply "be."  But how often do we miss being truly present and miss the people that God places in our midst?  Stories of encouragement that we could hear or the chance to encourage another person.  For how can we love people if we don't know their stories?

The place where I work has spent a lot of time talking about this in the last few weeks.  And in an effort to encourage people where they are at and to try and be present...  To hear people's stories and to learn how to love....  I share these stories.  Not in an effort to lift myself up as an example.  But simply to share--with permission--from the lives of others.

The first in this series comes from a man who walked into worship one evening.  One of our "street friends."  We had never met before and I didn't catch his name.  He stayed for the first half an hour.  He left and came back at the end of worship with this note.  We haven't seen him since, but this is his story:

"Forgive Me"

Yesterday I was a liar and a thief.
Someone you could never trust.
I gave to those who loved grief
For my desire was a selfish lust.

I would do anything to get what I need,
It didn't matter if it was family or friend.
I went so far as to take from my seed
Just to satisfy my sin.

I had crossed the line of no return
And of this I was sure.
Forever in hell I would burn
Because for me there was no cure
I was at ease with my choices in life
At least so it seems
I gave up a family, friends, kids and a wife
For some false, unrealistic dreams.

I accepted my situation
But still left room for doubt
And with great hesitation,
I found the strength to cry out

Father in Heaven, hear my plea
I no longer wish to roam
What I ask is this of Thee
Will you please take me home!

For many years I've been doing wrong
And I can't seem to quit
So now to You whose arm is strong
And to your will I submit.

Now I know you have forgiven me
Because in your word I read
Deny the flesh and I will see
Why your son died and bled.

Now today I'm not the same old me
Some changes have taken place
And I'll forever strive to be
Thankful for your grace

At times I still feel weak
And I'm tempted to do old things
But now it's your face I seek,
Along with the joy it brings.

So today  Father I thank thee,
And I remain focused on your "pearl."
For greater is "He" who is in me
Than he who is in the world.

Now I can't speak about tomorrow
Because I can't see that far ahead
So today I express godly sorrow
To all those I've misled.

"Forgive me."

Comments

Popular Posts