Forgetting to dot the t's and cross the i's..

"The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, except for one loaf they had with them in the boat.  'Be careful,' Jesus warned them.  'Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod.'  They discussed this with one another and said, 'It is because we have no bread.'"  -Mark 8

First, really?!  How many people were fed?  How many leftover baskets?  And when you left, you brought one loaf of bread?  That's it?

And it's one of those face palm moments--Jesus is trying to warn them about how easy it is to fall into your own way of doing things, of creating God in your own image, of getting so buried in the details you don't see what's going on.  The disciples completely miss the boat.  Even when he then took a few moments to teach them, to take it step by step by step.  They still didn't understand.

It's so obvious to us what's going on, but I'm willing to bet that in my own life right now I'm doing the same.  God has done a wonderful miracle, and then I read his word and don't understand what's going on.  Then he takes me step by step by step, and I still don't get it.  I guess it's nice to know I'm in good company and I'm thankful that it's not up to me understanding this morning because I'm quite sure that I'm as clueless as the disciples.

Comments

Popular Posts