While the Storm Rages...

So much beauty. The Gospel at work. The stories of those who have gone before--the shoulders of the giants we stand on--and the stories of the family in our midst. To hear what God is up to, it just melts your heart.

But in the midst of so much beauty--the storm rages. Hard. Every turn as you seek shelter deals another blow. And so you are turned around and around and around until you don't know which way to turn.

Fine enough if it were just constructive criticism, if it were a way that I could do something to repent and turn from my sinful ways. And oh, do I watch for those moments. Those kairos moments were people speak great truth into my life, where God turns me, picks me up and says, the cross is still enough, my blood covers your sin too. Those moments where in brokenness we see the grace & mercy of God. A Savior who is truly God with us. Who reaches into our humanity. Beauty rising up from the ashes.

If it were only those moments. But the storm rages to distract us and to drive us from the place where we should find our refuge. If only the storm could blow hard enough to drive us away from the Rock. Maybe we would stop clinging to it or stop trying to find shelter there. A distraction for just long enough so you loose sight of who He truly is.

So I keep waiting for the storm to stop & then realize. It won't. In the same way that Daniel stands before Nebuchadnezzar and hears his dream. So too, do we. Daniel was greatly perplexed for a time, and then his thoughts terrify him. To which the king unwittingly replies: "Do not let the dream or its meaning alarm you." So as Daniel explains the very things that God has revealed to him ...

How hard it is to stand up in the storm while it rages. We may be perplexed for a time and terrified, but it doesn't lessen the Truth that needs to be spoken.

Oh. There are days when you need to listen to the wise counsel around you and be humble enough to realize that you have wandered down the wrong paths. As they speak God's truth to you in love.

But then there are days when you must like Daniel stand up to the king and say what God commands you to.

The storm will continue to rage. But your shelter will still be in the stone the builders rejected. And from there, nothing can separate you from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." ~Psalm 62.5-8

Comments

Popular Posts